Monday, March 26, 2007

I have a problem.


I am officially addicted to yarn.


I needed to switch a project to circ's from DPNs and so I went to Craft Essentials, since they have a wider variety of lower-priced knitting needles. I went in determined to only get the circs.

I walked out with two pairs of circs and three skeins of Red Heart Casual Cot'n yarn in Black Grape. It was 30% off! Cotton blend! And an awesome colorway of purple, black, and a tiny bit of pink! And the last three at that! I could not resist.

So, after confessing that I bought more yarn, Nathan told me to just get good needles from K&P. I can manage to avoid buying yarn there, since the prices are beyond our budget for any large project. Somehow, my brain thinks differently about the yarn there. I can't justify buying the "good stuff" without a particular project in mind, or, more importantly, without it being "on sale". The only yarn I've bought from K&P was on sale. Why is it that those words can justify so many varieties of purchases? *sigh*

Anyway, I'll need to figure out a project for those three skeins. It will be beautious, whatever it is. And from now on, I am banning myself from buying any more yarn until I finish some projects or destash (I am SO going to be at K&Ps Stash Swap in April - though I doubt I'm gonna end up getting rid of anything people will actually want, heh).

Projects

So, I am still all over the place with my projects...as is the story of my life at the moment. I am fine with this, though, for the most part. I would like to finish something in the next month, but we'll see if that happens.

I'm primarily working on a tank top (worked in the round), of my own design, but essentially altered from this free pattern from Joan McGowan-Michaels at White Lies Designs (Bonne Marie Burns from Chicknits.com has a good article about using short-rows for garment shaping on Knitty.com that uses this pattern as a guide). The primary difference is that I'm going to make wide, straight straps, rather than the standard shell, scoop-neck tank design she uses. They'll be wide enough to hide bra-straps, but I want the back to be just above the bra so I can show off my tattoo when I'm wearing it (the poor tat rarely gets any love since most of my clothes cover it). Plus it makes it nice for summer. I'm using the shortrows so I can have shaping around the bust AND show that I do actually have a waist underneath all the boobage.

I have a general sketch of how I want it to look, but I have weird lines across it for the measurements, so once I re-draw it I'll take a pic and post it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very pleased to see you designing so much for your own shape, it's great to see. I can't even broach the subject of too much yarn right now. I just need to knit or crochet it all away.

Suzanne said...

Yeah, I have that same problem.

But I wouldn't worry about not being able to unload your unwanted yarn - whenever I bring yarn, even half-skein left over bits to our knitting group that I think there is NO WAY any one will want - hungry knitters pounce on it like lions. Free yarn is even harder to pass up than "sale" yarn.

I have so much yarn - I mean really - you have no idea. It's way out of control. The dangerous thing about going to a yarn swap is that I may come home with more than I give away --- and I'm running out of places to stash my stash.

Tracy said...

It's funny how the yarn addiction comes on fairly quickly. It doesn't take much before it hooks us. I remember when mine took hold... and it hasn't let up. One iota. I don't even know if YarnCollectors Anonymous would help...

I can't wait to see your new pattern. It fascinates me that people are able to just...DO that. lol I can modify (with help) but design my own? No way, Jose.