Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Healthy Foods

Thoughts on Food:

Part of my thought process lately has encouraged me to incorporate more healthy foods into my diet, focusing on organic and local produce, bulk foods (although I haven't officially bought anything bulk yet since I've been going through what we currently have first), other organic food (chicken, tofu, etc), etc. So I thought I'd share some pictures of meals I've made using fresher ingredients that don't take a lot of time (all of these are compiled of things I've made ahead of time so I can put them together and have a meal ready within 15-30 minutes). I've had to be creative about preparing foods with my schedule!


This is my cannellini bean stuff (I don't know what to call it - succotash maybe?) on top of oven-baked brown rice (see link for recipe) and sprinkled with cheddar cheese. I ate it with some whole wheat pita - I love it!

The mixture is Canellini beans (white kidney beans), sweet yellow corn, a little bit of sliced onion, sliced olives, some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), a splash of sweet wine (juice would also work), salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and maybe some other spices I don't remember (you can put in whatever you like - I just tasted it as I went).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


A polenta (see link for recipe) bake in foil (single person dinner size - Nathan was out with friends). I layered slices of leftover cooked polenta in the pan with drizzles of EVOO, salt & pepper, sprinkles of mozzarella in between the layers and topped it with splendido tomato halves, peas and mozzarella

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Lastly, a hummus sandwich! I used pre-made hummus, but I just looked up a recipe for hummus, so I want to make it myself soon (it looks pretty easy) from bulk chickpeas. I also put tomato and cheddar cheese inside with organic red leaf lettuce from the Isla Vista co-op. The bread is sprouted wheat berry from Trader Joe's. I like to toast it a little before using it (even for PB&J) because it brings out the flavor more.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What's funny is that I've been noticing that a LOT of my easy prep meals lately have been vegetarian, and could even be slightly modified to be vegan. And I'm not really missing meat that much, although I do still really like it (the fresh organic chicken I recently got from Trader Joe's was REALLY good).

What do you really like that is healthy, whole food, organic, etc? I'd love to get more ideas!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I have no food ideas, but I linked to you from Ashidome's blog. I saw your name, and thought "I wonder if that's the same Marieke that I know..." and it is!!! I've missed you! How are things in SB???

Marin said...

One of my favorite things is just a nice salad, and I have found that since we got a salad spinner I've been eating a lot more of it. You can wash all the lettuce at once, and spin it, and then keep the spinner in the frige with a paper towel on top of the lettuce, and the torn up lettuce will keep for a week! It make the salad prep so much easier!