Friday, April 27, 2007

Too much craziness...

So...things have been a little nuts lately. The last two Thursdays were, um, *interesting* to say the least and unfortunately made me miss knit group.

Last week
Last Thursday, I got a call from my stepmother-in-law saying that she and Nathan's dad wanted to come up for a visit THAT WEEKEND! Mind you, this was their FIRST visit to see us since we got married and since we've been living together, so this was a big deal. I stayed home and cleaned like crazy Thursday and Friday nights and Saturday morning before they came up.

The good news is that we had a great visit with them, they liked the dinner I made for them Saturday night,and the apartment is the cleanest it's ever been! We went to the Earth Day Festival on Sunday and after they left I spent five hours hanging out with Suzanne and Oliver. It was great!

This week
First, I had a long week, a not-so-great day at work (my co-worker has been out most of the last two weeks - ugh), and I think PMS is starting to hit me. THEN, I go home and there's a letter from San Francisco State waiting for me! I think "Yay! It's my official acceptance letter". I open it and it says in bold: NOTICE OF DENIAL

So NOT cool! I think *I* was in denial that it was actually true because of the reason stated (an issue I'd already talked to a higher-up about). Anyway, that was the last straw. In the car on the way home, Nathan had noticed that I was much edgier than normal and seemed like I was really overwhelmed, so he suggested canceling all potential plans and just going out to dinner and then go home and watch a movie or something. After I opened that letter, I was glad we chose to do that.

(Note: I called the person I've been talking to - the "higher-up" - and he said the letter was sent in error and that the person who sent it didn't pay attention to the flags or notes in my file - HELLO PERSON!! Wake up! Sheesh....)

THEN, as we're leaving the restaurant, I get a call from my mom who informs me that a good friend of mine was missing for about three days and it turns out she had a mental breakdown in a restaurant, the cops were called, and she's at the County Psychiatric Department! No one had been in to see her except her brother, but she was asleep so he didn't even see her face (they told him not to wake her up). So, I called someone who had more info on what exactly was going on and got the details on how to go visit her. Apparently the particular type of mental illness she's dealing with that caused the episode runs in her family on her mom's side (nearly all the women on that side have it), and it onsets at her age.

I called the Department this morning and I'm going to try to see her tonight during visiting hours and possibly tomorrow as well.

*whew*

To end on a happier note, Nathan and I have been married for 8 months as of yesterday! Yippee!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

holy moly. you have had a time this year, haven't you! i actually went to knitting last night... :)) but i am glad you took time for yourself. believe you me (and what does that really mean??) i understand that need. looking forward to seeing you soon!

Suzanne said...

Yikes.

What a scare!

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend. That's tough.

It was great seeing you this last weekend - and I think you are handling all of these things with such grace and class.

Although, for your sake, I hope things calm down for you a little in the days to come.

You have so earned that vacation.

Test said...

Oh man, I really WISH I could take a vacation!

Hopefully I'll have at least a little bit of a break when we move.

(This is Marieke, btw, I don't feel like logging out of Nathan's acct and into mine, hehe)

Kyla Jean said...

I just read your comment on Sara's blog about the Proverbs 31 woman. You expressed exactly what I meant to say. Beautifully said!!