Monday, May 07, 2007

So many happenings!

I feel like all my posts lately have been "updates". This one is a long time coming (I can't tell you how many posts I've started over the last couple weeks, but then not managed to finish and get posted).

There's so much going on, I'm finding it hard to limit what I say without getting overwhelmed by all the details. I'll try to make this short (HA! Who am I kidding?!).

School

I finally got my official Acceptance Letter from SF State (after a Notice of Denial scare a couple weeks ago...). Technically I am "Conditionally Accepted", but they just need to get my final transcript for my current classes at SBCC (which I just took care of last night). *whew*

I had issues (big surprise) with the math placement test....they never got my registration form (I suspect it got lost in their offices or something because I faxed it to the right place), so I had to take a chance and try to walk-in to take the exam. Which meant I had to be there way before check-in at 8:30am (I was there at 7am). I did get in to take it, so that was good! And we stayed at Nathan's grandparents' house in Oxnard the night before so we wouldn't have to drive as far. It was so nice to see them and go out to dinner. We've never spent time with them without other family around. They are so cute and still in love after 40ish years of marriage!

Also, I found out that I'll need to go up to SF State for an orientation in mid-July for priority registration, advising, etc. Of course it smack dab between when we go up to finish up stuff for Nathan's school and when we're planning on moving AND in the middle of the week. I found a cheap flight out of LAX ($108.80 RT), though, so I'm just gonna fly up the night before, do the orientation thing, and fly back that night.

So, everything is on track. All I have to do is sort out financial aid, go to the orientation and register for classes! I'm in the home stretch...woot!

As far as SBCC is concerned, I'm nearly done! I turned in all my Work Experience assignments last night, now I just have choir rehearsals tonight and tomorrow night, then performances Saturday (7pm) and Sunday (3pm) at First United Methodist Church on Anapamu (in case you want to come *grin*)


Financial Aid

I'm waiting to hear if I have gotten a Cal Grant or not (should know next week), and I've got a couple music scholarship apps out. I'm auditioning for one later this month, and I'll hopefully hear back about the Santa Barbara Foundation music scholarship in a couple weeks.

I've also got to get back on Fastweb.com and apply for the miscellaneous scholarships they've got on there.

I'm a little nervous about managing the cost of both of us being in school. I'd like to live with as little debt as possible. I'm really (trying to) trust God to take care of us. I know He will, but I still can't help but be a little nervous about it at times. Hopefully I can find a flexible job (I really cannot figure out what type of job I should try to go for...I'm gonna have a relatively big commute, so I want to find a job either on campus, or close to home and it will need to be flexible due to school and performances etc).

If I get a Cal Grant, then we might be able to live off the federal student loans plus part-time work, and not have to take out more loans (at least for my school - Nathan's is much more expensive, though).


Fiber projects

The bag for my mom is complete! I haven't gotten around to taking pictures yet (the lighting has been bad by the time I get around to it), but it turned out well. I just need to figure out what to put in it. It may end up being gifted by itself cause I don't have time to shop before Saturday and we're probably going to celebrate early due to the crazy weekend (choir performances, sisters' work, etc).

I've also been working on the black tank-top I'm designing. I've started the waist decreases (I actually started a little early cause the yarn stretches more than I thought) and it looks like it's going to work out pretty well as long as I can get the short-row bust shaping done right. I've just been trying it on every once in a while as I go to check shaping.


Food!


I've been doing a lot of cooking lately, here are some pictures and links:

Oatmeal Bread (Yummy recipe!)
I've made this a couple times now. It just needs to be given plenty of time to rise.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Easy and quick recipes that I use regularly:
Oven Baked Brown Rice
Oven-Baked Basic Polenta

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(These are my bulk food purchases and a few Farmers Market veggies: organic flour for bread, brown rice for recipe above, and white rice that I used to rice pudding)

Oh, and I shelled peas for the first time a couple weeks ago - I felt very domestic *grin*. They are SO much better than frozen ones! I did it while my first batch of bread was baking.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Moving

It's only about 2 1/2 months now till we move. I keep saying that "once school is over I'll start working on [de-cluttering, packing, getting together with people, etc]". Well, school is over after Wednesday of next week! The reality of moving is going to be staring me in the face and I don't want to be rushed at the last minute.

But I'm getting REALLY excited about all the possibilities! We're going to go up to the East Bay area at the beginning of July to take care of some administrative stuff for Nathan's school, then hopefully find a place and put down a deposit (I really don't want to have to go up there again to look for a place). Later that month I'll be flying up for the orientation, and then we're gonna move up.

I'm gonna try to make June the big "push" month to get everything in order and start packing up the stuff we don't need till we get there.

So that's my big huge update! :-D

2 comments:

Chauntel said...

Wow, that was a huge update! But I feel so informed now, which is a great thing when we can't seem to get it together to see eachother! I wish I could come to a performance this weekend but neither time works for me or the fam. I went to practice with my mom's choral group when I was up there visiting and it was fun to hear. I miss singing but have never been professional by any means. You could say I have lost my trained voice. I could get it back, I know, but that takes practice & that just ain't happenin'.
So, I am going to knitting tonight & it would be great if I could see you there!

Marieke said...

I won't be there tonight because of choir rehearsal, but I should be there next week!!